Location: Remote, Flexible working. Head Office based in Thame, Oxfordshire
Hours: Full time, Monday to Friday, flexible
Salary: Competitive Salary + our excellent benefits package
We are looking for a Data Engineer who is capable of maintaining and optimising our current data solution as well as advancing it to the next level. We have created an initial gem of a Data Lake and Lakehouse (Azure Data Lake, ADF, Databricks, Airflow, DBT) to enable Business Intelligence and Data Analytics (Superset, RStudio Connect). We started to populate our Data Lake at the start of this year and it is fully metadata driven, cost efficient, documented, and reproducible with a test subscription to ensure reliability in our delivery.
We need our new one-source-of-truth to be reliable and of high quality for both internal and external reporting and insight generation. But it is just the start – we will need best practice solutions around how we share data and insight back to our partners in a scalable and maintainable way. We have big data plans and new products on their way, and we need you to think innovatively and design and implement fast and scalable, but also resilient customer facing solutions that will enable us to provide our customer with the best experience through insight and interaction.
Our source data lives in different systems (including SQL servers, Google Analytics and Salesforce). If you have experience setting up data pipelines and in-depth knowledge of Azure/ Databricks technologies, you are comfortable taking a lead, taking responsibility and you want to put your stamp on our evolving data solution, then this will be the job for you. We work in a fast-paced environment and it is a priority to enable Analytics and Data Science with access to quality data and the right tools and technologies. But there is no stopping there – we will be a leader in the Proptech Data space, and we need you to drive innovation in your solutions as we grow.
- Take ownership of the centralisation of different data sources into our Lakehouse (Databricks on Azure Data Lake) and its architecture.
- Be responsible for the reliability and quality of data in the Data Lake (including anomaly detection, data quality checks, reconciliations, access, permission, and retention management, PII treatment, and back-up/ restoration plans).
- Set up and manage platform technologies to support Analytics/ Data Science enablement.
- Be innovative and lead the data solution to meet our requirements now and in future, especially as we start to use our gold data to feed data and insight back into the business.
- (Required) 3+ years of relevant Data Engineering experience (Preferably Databricks/Azure - or Snowflake/Redshift/BigQuery)
- (Required) Experience with infrastructure as code (e.g. Terraform or Bicep)
- (Required) Proficiency in using Python both fDor scheduling (e.g. Airflow/Prefect/Dagster) and manipulating data (PySpark)
- (Required) Experience building deployment pipelines (e.g. Azure Pipelines - or experience with Github Actions/Jenkins/AWS CodePipeline)
- (Required) Deployment of web apps using Kubernetes (Preferably ArgoCD & Helm – or e.g. Flux)
- (Preferred) Experience working on Analytics and Data Science enablement (dbt, DS deployments)
- (Preferred) Experience in MDM, Data Cataloguing and Lineage optimisation
- A strong preference for simplicity and transparency over complexity
- Best practice and detail focussed to enable scalability in future
- Strong written/ verbal communication skills and data presentation skills
How we will support you:
- Work-life balance is important; you’ll get an enhanced, generous holiday package
- You have the option for flexible, remote working
- Access to our beautiful head office in Thame, Oxfordshire – a great space to work, meet colleagues and collaborate
- Our benefits package includes; private medical insurance, volunteering day, competitive pension scheme, cycle to work scheme, Death in service insurance, sick pay and lots more
- Pre-arranged social events to make sure we have fun, stay connected and to ensure it isn’t all about work
- Smoove helps you develop your career with a detailed, performance management scheme
We have ambitious plans to make the home moving and ownership experience better at every touchpoint, transforming a slow and fragmented system to a streamlined, stress-free process for everyone involved.
Smoove is a leading provider of tech in the property sector. Since we were founded in 2003, we have come a long way on our journey and are currently at a critical and fascinating juncture. To date, the product focus has been on iterations of our conveyancer two-sided marketplace, connecting consumers with a range of quality conveyancers to choose from at competitive prices via its easy-to-use tech platform.
We are now going a step further with the development and the launch of the next phase of our customer focused online platform, DigitalMove – a centralised digital tool focussed on bringing together everyone involved in the conveyancing process, from future home buyers/sellers, conveyancers and lawyers to lenders and brokers. Conveyancing (the legal house purchasing process) has traditionally been paper-based where documents are posted back and forth, making it difficult difficult to track and share progress, causing frustration and slowing progress for all parties. Our home platform joins up the entire home buying and selling process right up to completion and beyond, making that process easier, quicker, safer and more transparent.